Advanced swear filter for server? & Making a bat server?

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Danfun64
Recruit Womprat Killer

Advanced swear filter for server? & Making a bat server?

Post by Danfun64 »

first of all, im glad that swbf2 had a swear filter, which swbf1 lacked :P . Unfortunatly, the filter is too basic (only caught the person if its the first word of sentence/didnt force ppl to change their names if they are inappropriate [script to automatically change name pleaze]) Is there a way to make an advanced swear filter with lua for a server? also, how do i make a bat server since the server manager doesnt support conversion pack 2.2 or other mods?
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Advanced swear filter for server? & Making a bat server?

Post by RogueKnight »

What are you talking about? Battlefront II doesn't have a swear filter....
Danfun64
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Danfun64 »

sure not for the single player voices, but some servers using the black ops server manager have basic chat filters.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Thats not BFII, thats the server manager. You can choose what or what not to filter through that, so you make it as heavy or as thin as you want the filter to be.
Aman/Pinguin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Inactive

Post by Aman/Pinguin »

Danfun64 wrote:Unfortunatly, the filter is too basic
As Twilight_Warrior said, you can individually change the filtered words.
Danfun64 wrote:only caught the person if its the first word of sentence
Not true.
Danfun64 wrote:didnt force ppl to change their names if they are inappropriate [script to automatically change name pleaze])

Not possible.
Danfun64 wrote:Is there a way to make an advanced swear filter with lua for a server?
No, since there's no way/function of checking text written in the chat.
trainmaster611
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by trainmaster611 »

None of you seem to be catching his drift.

We're talking about people bypassing the word filter. Unless the first word is the banned word, the auto admin isn't going to catch it. And people have taken advantage of that. Everyone is well aware that you can customize your banned words. I admin the SWGO servers but I'm not 100% sure if its possible to mod the server manager. I don't even totally understand how the server manager works so I wouldn't know where to start if it is at all possible. I have a hard enough time just trying to get the darned thing to work.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Again, the first word thing in a sentence thing is not true. I've seen many bans where the swear in the middle of the sentence. If think you do have to change the filter though, so that all the words have asterisks in front of them (*example) so that it wil catch them like any other search filter.
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

Edit: Sorry, didn't really read Trainmaster's post.

It is completely true that it has to be the first word. If you must test it, go to a public force server, most of them have filters, and try it... If you've seen someone kicked for having it in the middle of the sentence, they were simply unlucky enough to be seen by an admin when they swore.

Edit: Twilight_Warrior's explanation might be accurate, but I'm not sure, as I would think that most of the major server providing communities would have thought of that and be using it, and I'm rather sure you can still evade the censor.
trainmaster611
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by trainmaster611 »

No, Blade is correct. I'm one of the admins on the WGO servers so I know what does what. Anyone you've seen with a banned word in the middle of a sentence who gets kicked was most likely caught by a live admin.

In any event, I think we would be interested in finding some way to catch banned words in the middle of a sentence without the need of a live admin. It makes our job 20x easier.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

You could scan the chat log. When you detect bad words in it, run a little tool which clicks the right things or sends the right net message to boot/ban that user. Another way would be to release the booting code and allow anyone to boot anyone else. I would consider the first idea to be not worth the effort (they're just words, who cares) and the second idea is just bad (may destroy normal MP play).

The Lua scripts have no access to the chat messages.