Emperor's Throne Room (Conversion)

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Emperor's Throne Room (Conversion)

Post by Maveritchell »

Hey all,

I had some free time this weekend and last, and for kicks and giggles I wanted to step through the SWBF2>SWBF1 conversion - and maybe learn a little about SWBF1 along the way. Since ZE doesn't work on my computer, I had to use one of my maps without terrain, and since Death Star II was already largely constructed without ZE, it was an easy choice.

I also took the time to play around and look for workarounds to SWBF1's limited animation system, and to play with this I made a pseudo-hero-assault mode. It plays... okay. I'll be the first to confess that I didn't spend a lot of time working this one through, and it's only really an experiment. I think the map still works great for team deathmatch with regular sides (which is what the GCW era has).

So speaking as a modder, I'm not a huge fan of what SWBF1 brings to the table (although I know a little more about that now, though), although it is fun seeing Yoda slink around in prone. Always silver linings!

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... oom;121124
http://www.gamefront.com/files/22022105 ... _noEXE_zip (No .exe, for Mac users)
Hidden/Spoiler:
jdee/barc
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Battlefront One and a Half
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Emperor's Throne Room (Conversion)

Post by jdee/barc »

This looks like it should be fun...but...how did you manage to get doublesabers working properly in the pic. I never had any sucess doing that :faint:
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Looks like custom lightsaber objects.

Will give this one a whirl, it looks great, despite the limitations!

Is that Savage Opress I see in that last screen?
Last edited by giftheck on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lephenix
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Becoming a Concept Artist-Illustrator

Post by Lephenix »

I'll try that version too :thumbs: .
sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Naboo Otoh Gunga
Games I'm Playing :: swbf 1

Post by sereja2 »

Very impressive models! Specialy those galaxy hologramm effect, with blinking stars... Interesting, what hex editor code, you using for them?
I think, converting maps to SWBF1, it is very good idea, and it's cud be nice, if most of interesting SWBF2 maps, will be also converted...
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

ggctuk wrote:Is that Savage Opress I see in that last screen?
No - that's Darth Maul (there are only three heroes per side) with a Yoda in between the player and Darth Maul.
sereja2 wrote:Very impressive models! Specialy those galaxy hologramm effect, with blinking stars... Interesting, what hex editor code, you using for them?
I think, converting maps to SWBF1, it is very good idea, and it's cud be nice, if most of interesting SWBF2 maps, will be also converted...
It's a particle effect with a mesh for the galaxy. And I don't really plan on doing more conversions of my stuff from SWBF2 to 1 - this was really just an experiment, and I wasn't super-happy with how this turned out, even as one of my simplest maps (more complex maps would require cutting or giving up even more). If you really want to experience the "most interesting" SWBF2 maps, the best idea is to simply get SWBF2.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

I'd be interested to see how you got multiple saber animations. A different swing per weapon slot?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Teancum wrote:I'd be interested to see how you got multiple saber animations. A different swing per weapon slot?
Different animationsets. Each saber is still only one-animation as far as attacks go (although there are secondary attacks that are saber swings as well).
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Ah, so using primary/secondary lets folks create a "combo" of sorts. That's what I would have done, too. So is force mapped to another secondary attack (switchable)?

Also, I bet the SWBF1-ites would love to have access to your custom side.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Teancum wrote:Ah, so using primary/secondary lets folks create a "combo" of sorts. That's what I would have done, too. So is force mapped to another secondary attack (switchable)?
There was really only one secondary attack I used that was a saber swing attack; the rest were just force powers.

I probably didn't do anything as robust as what you're thinking - in the limited research I did, it doesn't look like SWBF1 lets me do anything but add animations where they already aren't (so for example, I couldn't replace a stand_rifle_fire animation if it already existed), so I capped out on usable animationsets at about four (gam, lascannon, tool, and sabre) - and two of those had to go to Darth Maul and Yoda, since they need different animations based on weapon and unit size, respectively (actually, I probably could have gotten away with giving Yoda the same attack animation as some others, since all I really needed was his skeleton for scaling to work). Also, SWBF1 doesn't appear to handle animationsets on a per-skeleton/unit-basis - if I load in a "gam" bank fire animation for Yoda, it becomes the "gam" bank fire animation for everyone, regardless of whether their animationset calls for a different one (obviously .lua load order takes precedence here, but it's limited to one either way).

These are all just guesses, really, though. I spent less than a week sorting through these problems; I'm sure that someone else must have put more effort into this than I, given the length of time SWBF1's been out.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I think Mav did a really good job converting it, really the best he could have done. SWBF2 is really showing its age but SWBF is far more outdated. I mean looking at this, it makes SWBF2's lighting look good and that's no small task.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

It's a rather good conversion despite its limitations.
sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by sereja2 »

Maveritchell wrote: If you really want to experience the "most interesting" SWBF2 maps, the best idea is to simply get SWBF2.
Well, I am already have SWBF2, but I still think, the maps look's much more better in SWBF1. Of course, it is luck of memory, and have lot of issues, like unable to make new infantry animation, most of effects, new shields, can't add more abilitys for vehicles and infantry, have more then 5 unit at startup screen, and more then 24 maps in addon directory, play in different mode etc., but I think, in everything else SWBF1 is much more superior game. All maps look's very realistic, and have much more better and beatyfull view.
It is realy sad, the most of good modders, just like you are, wish to making maps for SWBF2 only...
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

The thing is, SWBF2 does offer more scope to play around with. You can do pretty much anything in that engine. BF1... well, we're only now finding workarounds because they never released all the assets to the game in the first place, unlike with BF2. Who can blame them?

It does suck sometimes if your computer can't run BF2, but then it's the more popular game.
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

Hidden/Spoiler:
sereja2 wrote:
Maveritchell wrote: If you really want to experience the "most interesting" SWBF2 maps, the best idea is to simply get SWBF2.
Well, I am already have SWBF2, but I still think, the maps look's much more better in SWBF1. Of course, it is luck of memory, and have lot of issues, like unable to make new infantry animation, most of effects, new shields, can't add more abilitys for vehicles and infantry, have more then 5 unit at startup screen, and more then 24 maps in addon directory, play in different mode etc., but I think, in everything else SWBF1 is much more superior game. All maps look's very realistic, and have much more better and beatyfull view.
It is realy sad, the most of good modders, just like you are, wish to making maps for SWBF2 only...
You say Battlefront 1 is more beautiful and more realistic? You look at the above pictures, and tell me if you still think that. Also, in your post you listed all the reasons why people mod Battlefront 2 more than Battlefront 1, because you can do more.
EDIT: Original movie footage for reference.
Hidden/Spoiler:
jdee/barc
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Battlefront One and a Half

Post by jdee/barc »

I like the gameplay in BF1 more. It just feels... "natural" to me. BF2's gameplay doesn't. Also, I like strafing gunships and being prone :P
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

The engine might not be as capable but I still think SWBF had better (visually) designed maps. Many of the(especially ep3) maps from SWBFII sometimes felt a bit dull. SWBF had more exotic maps like Rhen Var.
Except for the upgraded engine/modtools and some smaller stuff like better campaign and space IMO SWBF beats SWBFII.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Space could probably be done in BF1 too. It would just need some tweaks to get it to work right, given that units jump out of their vehicles when they have low reinforcements.
sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by sereja2 »

willinator wrote:You look at the above pictures, and tell me if you still think that.
Well, I can't denied, second pic (SWBF2), look's more similar to the movie, but the problem is next: light system in SWBF1 works by different way. Also, models should have different TGA and bumpmap options, and sometimes, different hex editor code. Even those "light blur" can be recreated, by special fix (not sure about autor).
I am sure you, if the work at lights in this map cud be done little better, it cud be look's even more beauty, then those "underwater" SWBF2 view.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Truth be told, if Mav could have gotten into ZeroEditor, he might have been able to change the lighting. As I understand it, unlike BF1->BF2, when you convert a BF2 map to BF1, it does sometimes screw the lighting up. I had to change the lighting on Kashyyyk: Beachhead when I ported it over.

The lighting in the BF2 version is correct - that is the colour pallette used in the Throne Room scenes in Return of the Jedi.